WProofreader plugin for WordPress naturally scans and checks your website content not only limited to grammar and spell check but also punctuation and style of your content.
WProofreader plugin for WordPress uses the cloud-based WebSpellChecker spelling and grammar checking services governed by the Terms of Service.
Caveat though, WProofreader plugin does not proofread the whole website at a time. It proofreads only when the content on your website is in editing mode.
Compatible with the following WordPress versions:
- WordPress 4.x
- WordPress 5.x
- WordPress 6.x
Here is a list of the supported content types:
Content of pages – Content of posts – Tag descriptions – Category descriptions – WooCommerce – WP eCommerce product descriptions – Any Custom Post type – Meta description fields of Yoast SEO plugin
The plugin’s operation modes:
Check as you type spontaneously detects spelling and grammar mistakes and on hover provides suggestions.
Check in floating dialog proofreads in floating dialog with aggregated suggestions.
WProofreader plugin for WordPress promotes and serves your website by providing:
- The Pro version offers to select 17 languages from a pool of 160.
Note! Only a select set of languages scans for grammar checks. View the supported languages for grammar check here.
- The free version supports only spell checking and is limited to 6 languages.
- American English
- British English
Extra features language autodetect and spelling autocorrect speed up your writing. Autodetect checks multilingual texts instantly detecting the language and giving relevant spelling and grammar recommendations.
Autocorrect provides text replacements for commonly misspelled words like “hte”, “google, and “dont”. The feature is available for all supported languages and enabled by default.
The Pro version is shipped with:
- User-level custom dictionary – All custom-added words and phrases are stored centrally on cloud and accessible from the browser.
- Company-level custom dictionary – Same as the user-level dictionary yet managed centrally – company wide – by the admin to ensure uniformity across the organization.
- Specialized medical for English, French and Spanish and legal dictionaries for English.
Free version dictionary – Company-level custom dictionary is not available for the free version.
The user-level custom dictionary content is saved on the browser storage.
ELEGANT AND USER-FRIENDLY
- Straightforward configuration
- There is NO BANNER ADDs
- Color-coded spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Spelling autocorrect
- Language autodetection
- Easily toggle on/off button
- Add words to custom dictionary and access it everywhere
- Support the latest version of WordPress
- Proofread up to 100 million words per year in the Pro version and supports up to 5 websites.
- The free version is limited to spell checking 10,000 words per day one a single website. Upon reaching the limit, it stops working until the next day.
MODERN AND UP TO DATE
- Seamlessly integrates with WordPress latest editor – Gutenberg and backward compatible with the classic editor of WordPress 4.x
- The following browsers are supported:
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer 11
For good measure, most of our clients use WProofreader plugin for WordPress because:
- To save time proofreading using anyone of the two modes – check as you type and in floating dialog.
- They are heavy posters, with multiple articles to release.
- Create and maintain posts in different languages.
- Some editor work or proofread contents created by others.
- The nature of their business is highly competitive and cannot afford typos and poor-quality written content.
From your WordPress dashboard
- Visit ‘Plugins > Add New’.
- Search for ‘WProofreader’.
- Activate WProofreader from your Plugins page.
- Download WProofreader plugin.
- Upload the ‘wproofreader’ directory to your ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory, using your favorite method (ftp, sftp, scp, etc…)
- Activate WProofreader from your Plugins page.
Automatic updates should work like a charm; as always though, ensure you backup your site just in case.
What is License Key or how to obtain one?
A license key is a special data string that verifies authorized access to the Pro version of WProofreader plugin. The license key is provided by the WebSpellChecker when the Pro version is purchased.
Does WProofreader plugin check the entire website?
The plugin does not check the whole website at a time. It is enabled only when the content on your website is in editing mode. Here is the list of content types which can be checked by the plugin: content of pages, content of posts, tag descriptions, category descriptions, WooCommerce and WP eCommerce product descriptions, any Custom Post Type, Meta description fields of Yoast SEO plugin.
What other languages are available for WProofreader plugin?
The free version of WProofreader plugin is shipped by 6 languages, including:
- American English
- British English
The Pro version of WProofreader plugin entitles you to select 17 languages from a pool of 160+ available languages.
Note that not all languages support grammar checks. Here is the list of available languages. Languages with grammar enabled are marked.
What is custom dictionary and how can I create it?
WProofreader plugin has a special functionality called custom dictionary. It allows creating personal dictionaries with custom words (complex words, acronyms, proper nouns, etc.) and use it across your website. Words added to a personal dictionary will not be marked as misspellings.
To create a new user-level custom dictionary, click the orange badge in the bottom right corner of the text field and select Settings. Then go to Dictionaries; Name your new dictionary and click Create. All new words will be added to the newly created dictionary. If you have several personal dictionaries, say, for different types of terms – the new words will be added to the one, currently in use.
To create a Company-level custom dictionary to be used across all the websites under your subscription, please follow the instructions in this link.
Does WProofreader plugin check grammar as well?
Not all listed languages support grammar checks. Here is the updated list of supported languages and the ones marked for grammar-check.
Does WProofreader plugin work in Elementor?
At the moment WProofreader plugin doesn’t work in Elementor Website Builder. However, we may re-prioritize our backlog based on the demand. Contact us.
Is Technical support available for WProofreader plugin?
Support service is provided by WebSpellChecker LLC for Pro version users. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the difference between Free and Pro versions?
Free version: ($0)
- Usage limit: Up to 10,000 words processed per day for a single website. Once the daily limit is reached, the tool will stop working.
- Allowed number of websites: 1 website.
- Languages available for spell checking: (6 languages) American English, British English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
- Languages available for grammar checking: Not available.
- Personal User-level custom dictionary: No cloud backup. The dictionary is only available in one browser on a single device. The dictionary is not available for review and modification.
- Company-level custom dictionary: No available.
Pro version: ($49)
- Usage limit: Up to 100 million words processed per year. No daily limits apply
- Allowed number of websites: Up to 5 websites
- Languages available for spell checking: Select up to 17 languages from a pool of 160+ languages.
- Languages available for grammar checking: Not all listed languages support grammar checks. Here is the updated list of supported languages and the ones marked for grammar-check.
- Personal user-level custom dictionary: Stored in the cloud, available from any browser or device. The user can freely access, review and modify the list of words in the dictionary.
- Company-level custom dictionary: The subscription admin can create global dictionaries that will be available across all the connected websites.
How to add specialized medical or legal dictionary to the Pro version?
Contact our sales team for more details.
The medical dictionary includes over 192K terms related to anatomy, diseases, health care, generic and trademark drug names. Available for English, French and Spanish.
The legal dictionary contains about 5K terms related to jurisprudence, law, criminology, and law enforcement. Available for English.
What is the price of additional languages and how can I order it?
If you need to select more than 17 languages, please contact our sales team for more details.
What is a Company-level custom dictionary and how I can use it?
The Company-level custom dictionary functionality is available in the Pro version only and is aimed at extending a list of words in the default dictionaries with your custom words and terms. It helps to improve the quality of spelling check services. Using an account on the WebSpellChecker website, you may create a custom wordlist which includes specific terms, abbreviations, etc. These words won’t be considered as misspellings.
What are the Terms of Service?
Please see the complete Terms of Service for the plugin here.
What browsers are supported?
The plugin supports latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and MS Edge, and Internet Explorer 11.
Can I suggest a feature?
Sure, please let us know how we can make the plugin more useful for you. Create a new topic under the support section of this plugin.
How can I uninstall the plugin?
To uninstall the plugin, you need to be a website administrator. Please login to the website admin area and go to Plugins. Locate WProofreader on the list of the plugins and click Deactivate below the plugin title. The last step is to simply click Delete that appears after the deactivation.
My website exceeded word usage quota. What does it mean?
Both the Free and Pro versions of the plugin have usage limitations. One of them is the aggregated number of words checked during a certain period.
The Free version is limited to 10,000 words for a single website aggregated for all users per day. Once the aggregated usage for a website exceeds this number, the plugin stops checking text until the next day (00:00 UTC-0) and the next error message will be shown on the plugin’s settings page: “Word usage quota for the free plan exceeded. Contact support for more details.“
Below is the example explaining how the usage is calculated. The plugin doesn’t run in a background or doesn’t generate false data usage. If the plugin is enabled, it works only when a page or blog post is in the editing mode.
Let’s assume you have a page which contains 1000 words. You open it for editing and this is when the plugin starts. All the text from this page will be sent for checking. Thus, 1000 words are checked and recorded as usage. You still continue editing, let’s say you decided to make some changes in the 2nd paragraph which contains 100 words. Since there were some changes, the plugin needs to recheck this part. As a result extra 100 words will be sent for checking. We can’t send individual words as checking relies on sentences. So, now 1100 words are recorded in usage. Later you decide that you want to save the page as a draft and preview changes. After previewing changes, you decide to go back to editing and open the page for editing again (again this is when the plugin starts). The plugin doesn’t know that this is the same page and does rechecking again. As a result plus 1000 words are added to the general statistics. The total is now 2100 words. Also, let’s imagine that while editing mode is ON you have to reload a page a few times, the whole page will be rechecked after each reload of the page or browser.
Bijdragers & ontwikkelaars
“WProofreader spell & grammar check plugin for WordPress” is open source software. De volgende personen hebben bijgedragen aan deze plugin.Bijdragers
“WProofreader spell & grammar check plugin for WordPress” is vertaald in 2 talen. Dank voor de vertalers voor hun bijdragen.
Interesse in ontwikkeling?
2.6.7 – 2022-09-14
- Fixed warning in class-wsc-settings.php on line 180.
2.6.6 – 2022-07-29
- Fixed issue with the dialog mode.
- Updated text.
2.6.5 – 2021-09-28
- Enabled WProofreader badge by default. If needed, it can be disabled from the plugin’s settings tab.
- Enabled the General section on the settings dialog for managing spelling autocorrection. By default, the spelling autocorrection is enabled. If needed, the user can disable it. To do so, please navigate to the badge (orange bubble located at the right bottom corner of the editable block) > click on the gear icon > toggle “Correct spelling automatically”.
2.6.4 – 2020-11-26
- Fixed a minor issue with the plugin permissions and an error shown on the settings page.
2.6.3 – 2020-11-20
- WProofreader is disabled in the table element in the Gutenberg editor to prevent breaking a table and overall glitching.
2.6.2 – 2020-09-22
- Fixed the integration issue that appeared in v2.6 with the Classic editor when Gutenberg is disabled.
2.6.1 – 2020-09-21
- Enabled error logging mechanism. Now errors will be displayed on the plugin settings page, which will help to troubleshoot issues faster.
2.6 – 2020-09-14
- Improved the integration with the Gutenberg editor. Now WProofreader will be automatically started in all editable elements of the editor without the necessity to click on each element to enable the spelling/grammar checking.
- The orange badge is disabled by default for all types of elements including the Gutenberg editor. There is a setting allowing to reactivate the badge.
- The dialog mode option for proofreading is disabled by default for the Gutenberg editor.
2.5 – 2019-07-29
- Enabled spelling and grammar check in the Meta description fields of Yoast SEO plugin.
- Enabled support of Custom Post Types using the “wproofreader_add_cpt“ filter.
2.4 – 2019-04-15
- Added a new option “Disable WProofreader Badge” to the plugin settings which allows disabling an orange badge button. If disabled, the orange badge won’t appear in each editable box on the page. Users will see only underlined spelling and grammar errors that were detected by WProofreader.
- Fixed the issue with “Uncaught TypeError” in the browser console which appeared after the update of the event system in the WProofreader core.
2.3 – 2019-02-25
- Fixed the issue: The Gutenberg editor doesn’t react on the text changes (e.g. replace word) that were made by WProofreader.
- Blocked saving of WProofreader span elements to database.
- Fixed the issue: After replacing a word in IE11 or MS Edge, the word remains underlined in the Gutenberg editor.
- Fixed the issue: After replacing a word in IE11 or MS Edge, the input event doesn’t work properly in the Gutenberg editor.
2.2 – 2019-02-12
- Resolved the issue with not working plugin under PHP version 7.1. and higher. Consequently eliminated PHP warnings “Invalid argument supplied for foreach()“.
2.1 – 2019-01-29
- Fixed the issue with not working grammar checking option in the Pro version.
2.0 – 2018-12-21
The new version of the WProofreader (WebSpellChecker Proofreader) plugin introduces the following updates:
- Upgraded to be fully compatible with latest versions of WordPress: WordPress 4.x, WordPress 5.x and Gutenberg editor.
- Enabled two comfortable modes for proofreading: instant, underlining mistakes while you type, and dialog, proofreading all the text at once in a separate pop-up window.
- Improved engine to check not only spelling but grammar as well. Checking spelling for 6 languages in a Free version, checking both spelling and grammar for 14 in Pro + spell checking in Finnish and Norwegian Bokmal.
- Introduced new clean and comfy UI: intuitive suggestion boxes, spinner indicating the progress of proofreading, Maximize/Restore icon in a dialog mode, save changes notifications.
- Checks spelling and grammar on Pages, Posts, Tags, Categories, WooCommerce Product Descriptions, and WP eCommerce Product Descriptions including product tags and categories.
- Removed banner ad in the Free version.
- Extended the list of supported browsers: Chrome (the latest), Firefox (the latest), Safari (the latest), Internet Explorer 11, MS Edge (the latest).
New version of the WebSpellChecker plugin introduces the following updates:
- Support of the Yoast SEO and ACF text fields
- Spell Checking in the Titles field
- Fixes for minor issues
Initial Release of the WebSpellChecker plugin. The multi-language spell checking functionality is available for Visual Editor and excerpt all fields.