The WordPress Follow Buttons Plugin from AddThis (absolutely FREE) is the easiest way to add follow buttons to your website and increase your followers on social media. Our quick-loading Follow Buttons Plugin makes it simple to directly connect to over 65+ social channels including Instagram, Pinterest, Messenger, Twitter, Facebook, and many more.
Widgets and shortcodes are available for this follow button plugin. You can also use our analytics dashboard at AddThis.com to discover what content is getting you the most followers.
AddThis is trusted by over 15,000,000 websites with over 2 billion unique users, sharing content all over the world, in more than sixty languages.
Follow Header Buttons
- Position these buttons at the top of your site
- Customize the “follow” title
- Choose between light, gray, dark and transparent themes
- Customize the services you’d like to display
- Specify the screen width when this tool should become visible
Horizontal & Vertical Follow Buttons
- Position these buttons in the footer or sidebar of your site
- Choose between small, medium and large buttons
- Customize your header title
- Customize the services you’d like to display
- Supports all major social networks and RSS subscription
- Want to see which services are driving the most followers to your social media channels? Or which pieces of content are converting visitors into fans? Sign up for a free AddThis.com account to access your website analytics.
We strive to provide best-in-class support with a response time of around two hours, and a customer satisfaction rate of over 98%. To get in touch with our team, head to http://www.addthis.com/support.
Check out our other plugins to help you grow and engage your audience!
Share Buttons: Make it simple for website visitors to share your content. Connect directly to 200+ social networks, including Facebook, Twitter, and more.
Related Posts: Boost your on-site engagement with our Related Posts tool, which recommends content not only by what’s popular, but also what’s most relevant.
Want more? Visit our website to learn how you can activate our Email List Building and Link Promotion Tools.
Installing AddThis directly to WordPress:
Sign up for AddThis at: https://www.addthis.com/register
Go to your Get the Code tab and copy the code that looks similar to:
Go to your WordPress Admin Dashboard, hover over Appearance => Editor and click on the footer.php template file
Paste the AddThis code you just copied right above the closing tag
Save the file changes
For an automatic installation through WordPress:
In your WordPress admin sidebar, go to Plugins and then click on Add New
Search for AddThis Follow
Click Install Now and activate the plugin
For a manual installation via FTP:
Go to https://wordpress.org/plugins/addthis-follow and click on Download to download the AddThis zipped plugin files
Unzip the plugin files
In FTP, upload the entire addthis-follow plugin folder you’ve just unzipped to your
Go back to your WordPress dashboard, click on Plugins in the sidebar, find the AddThis plugin you’ve just uploaded and click Activate
To upload the plugin through WordPress, instead of FTP:
Go to https://wordpress.org/plugins/addthis-follow and click on Download to download the AddThis zipped plugin files (do not unzip this file)
Go back to your WordPress admin dashboard, go to Plugins and click on Add New => Upload Plugin
Upload the zip plugin files you’ve just downloaded and click on Install Now
Once WordPress is done uploading the files, just click on Activate Plugin
Is AddThis gratis?
Yes, AddThis is free for all users!
Do I need to create an account?
No, you do not need to create an account in order to control a limited number of AddThis sharing tools from within WordPress. In order to use more AddThis tools and see your site’s analytics you will need to create an account with AddThis. It requires an email address and name, but that’s it.
Why use AddThis?
- Ease of use. AddThis is easy to install, customize and localize. We’ve worked hard to make a suite of simple and beautiful website tools on the internet.
- Performance. The AddThis menu code is tiny and fast. We constantly optimize its behavior and design to make sharing a snap.
- Peace of mind. AddThis gathers the best services on the internet so you don’t have to, and backs them up with industrial strength analytics, code caching, active tech support and a thriving developer community.
- Flexibility. AddThis can be customized via API, and served securely via SSL. You can roll your own sharing toolbars with our toolbox. Share just about anything, anywhere your way.
- Global reach. AddThis sends content to 200+ sharing services 60+ languages, to over 2 billion unique users in countries all over the world.
- GDPR compliant – All of our website tools are GDPR compliant.
Welke PHP versie is vereist?
This plugin requires PHP 5.2.4 or greater and is tested on the following versions of PHP:
Who else uses AddThis?
Over 15,000,000 sites have installed AddThis. With over 2 billion unique users, AddThis is helping share content all over the world, in more than sixty languages.
How do I remove AddThis from a page
In the screen options you can enable the AddThis meta box. Check the box and save if you’ve already published that page or post to disable AddThis on that page or post.
Are there filters?
Yes! There are lots of filters in this plugin.
Filters allow developers to hook into this plugin’s functionality in upgrade-safe ways to define very specific behavior by writing their own PHP code snippets.
Developer documentation on our filters is available. This documentation lists all the filters for our plugins. This plugin does not include filters for follow tools or related post tools.
Are there widgets?
Yes! There are widgets available for all AddThis inline tools (the ones that don’t float on the page).
Developer documentation on our widgets is also available. This documentation lists all the widgets for our plugins. This plugin does not include widgets for follow tools or related post tools.
Are there shortcodes?
Yes! There are lots of shortcodes in this plugin. There are shortcodes are available for all AddThis inline tools (the ones that don’t float on the page).
See our documentation on our shortcodes. This documentation lists all the shortcodes for our plugins. This plugin does not include shortcodes for share tools or related post tools.
Bijdragers & ontwikkelaars
“WordPress Follow Buttons Plugin – AddThis” is open source software. De volgende personen hebben bijgedragen aan deze plugin.Bijdragers
Interesse in ontwikkeling?
- Compatibility test
- Fixed a bug which caused unneccessary errors in log when in AMP mode
- Fixed an incompability with AMP for WP plugin
- Added AMP support for tools made in anonymous mode
- Added configuration option to disable AMP support
- Removed notices regarding AMP
- Added compatibility detection with official AMP plugin
- Fixed an incompatibility with PHP < 5.4
- Added support for AMP in registered mode when used in conjunction with the official AMP plugin
- Removed references for Google+
- Fixed a bug where a script tag causes browser errors in certain circumstances
- Fixed a bug where previewing a new post may remove tools
- Removed Pro features and country dropdown menu for registration page
- Updated yaml configs and added script tag to login page
- Remove uninstallation hook
- Added actviation/deactivation/uninstallation hook
- Upadate readme.txt and screenshots
- Updated error messaging that is no longer relevant regarding related post tools
- Tested compatibility with WordPress 4.9
- Fix for PHP notice from AddThisPlugin.php on line 610
- Changing the permission capability used for determining when users can edit AddThis settings from activate_plugins to manage_options. This will allow most admins on multi-site instances to edit settings. More information on WordPress roles and capabilities.
- Fix for PHP notice from AddThisFeature.php line 652
- Correcting language for widgets in conflict mode after upgrade
- Removing line breaks from HTML added to public pages
- Disabling the wp_trim_excerpt by default as it’s the most likely to cause theme issues
- Adding error message if browser can’t talk to addthis.com and communication with AddThis APIs are required for funtionality.
- Compatibility updates for version 6.1.0 of Share Buttons by AddThis.
- Adding requested AddThisWidgetByDomClass functionality that will allow users adding a widget via PHP to customze the URL, title, description and image used for that share. Please see the widget documentation for more infromation.
- Fixing shortcode bug.
- Eliminating PHP Notice on AddThisPlugin.php line 1433
- Compatibility updates for version 6.0.0 of Share Buttons by AddThis. This plugin is no longer compatible with version before 6.0.0 of Share Buttons by AddThis.
- Adding meta box to allow site editors to disable automatically added tools when editing posts and pages. Compatible with the Share Button by AddThis meta box. If disabled in one, auto adding of tools will be disabled in both.
- Redesigned the plugin’s widgets to work with AddThis.com’s support of multiple definitions of the same tool type. The class for the new widget is AddThisWidgetByDomClass. Widgets created through WordPress’s UI will automatically be migrated to use the new class. However, any hard coded use of the old widget classes will need to be updated before upgrading. Deleted widget classes: AddThisFollowButtonsCustomWidget, AddThisFollowButtonsHorizontalWidget, AddThisFollowButtonsVerticalWidget. Developer documentation on the new widget is available.
- Fix for PHP Warning on AddThisFollowButtonsToolParent.php line 127
- Doing profile ID validation and follow service list retreival directly in the browser rather than proxying through a WordPress backend AJAX call. This will make this plugin work for “Ignore the tool configurations in this profile” mode in environments where the WordPress server can’t talk to AddThis.com.
- Error handling to prevent a PHP notice for an undefined property in AddThisFeature.php on line 704.
- Compatibility with Smart Layers by AddThis v 2.0.0+. If you’re using the Smart Layers by AddThis plugin as well, please ensure that you’re using a 2.0.0 or higer version of it. This plugin is no longer compatible with older version of the Smart Layers plugin (1.0.12 and older). The order in which you upgrade the two plugins does not matter.
- Fix for PHP notices on AddThisTool.php on line 439 and AddThisPlugin.php on line 501 for special templates
- Bug fix for WordPress 3.5 and older (shortcode_exists is not defined)
- Speed improvements for all pages (x2 on the widget configuration page).
- Removes warning notice at upgrade which deactivates plugin: The pluing addthis-follow/addthis-follow.php has been deactivated due to an error. Plugin file does not exist.
- Clarifying some language in warning a warning message
- Plugin rewritten from scratch.
- Adding Follow Header feature from AddThis.
- Adding an additional size (20×20 pixels) for Horizontal Follow Buttons and Vertical Follow Buttons (in addition to 16×16, 32×32).
- Adding many new services
- Adding shortcodes for use inside posts for both Horizontal Follow Buttons and Vertical Follow Buttons
- Includes widgets for both Follow Buttons and Vertical Follow Buttons
- Widgets now use central values for social accounts. This means that all horizontal follow buttons widgets will share a set of services and usernames, and vertical follow buttons will have their own set to share. If you’re already using widgets that don’t conform to this, those widgets will continue to display on your site as they did until you resolve these conflicts on our settings page. You will not be able to change the services on these conflicting widgets without converting them all to using a central list of accounts.
- Optionally, allows users to set up their AddThis account and AddThis site profile from inside WordPress.
- Optionally, walks existing AddThis users through logging into their AddThis account and picking a site profile to register their plugin without leaving WordPress. Once registered, AddThis is able to start collecting Analystics on your visitors social use of your site. No more copying in Profile IDs! (Analytics are only available at addthis.com.)
- After registering the plugin with AddThis, Pro users can edit settings for Custom Follow Buttons from within WordPress. This also enables a Custom Follow Buttons widget and shortcode.
- Shares (most) global options with the Share Buttons by AddThis plugin (if installed).
- Adding AddThis EULA
- YouTube Channel profile support
- Improved troubleshooting data for AddThis Support
- Support for WordPress 4.3
- Support for servers without CURL
- Minor bug fix
- Minor updates
- Better compatibility with other AddThis plugins.
- Support for Linkedin Company profiles
- Minor bug fixes
- Minor bug fixes
- AddThis Follow configuration options now available in WordPress Admin Settings
- Minor bug fixes
- Updated UI on Widget Setup
- Update to Widget Framework
- Initial Version